4th of July Safety Tips
With the 4th of July holiday fast approaching, here are some things to consider for a safe and happy holiday:
· Sparklers can reach temperatures above 1000°F. Children should not use sparklers unsupervised.
· Never carry fireworks in your pocket or shoot them into metal or glass containers. The explosion can cause serious injuries to you or another. The Consumer Product and Safety Commission reported there were an estimated 12,900 fireworks related injuries in 2017. Of those, 8,700 occurred during a study period between June 16, 2017 and July 16, 2017.
· In Ohio, you can purchase fireworks from a licensed wholesaler or manufacturer. But, Ohio law requires a permit to set off large scale fireworks. Only novelty and trick fireworks can be set off by unlicensed individuals.
· Many dogs, and even cats, are afraid of fireworks. Do not bring your pet to a fireworks display. Bring your pet inside to protect them from the sound and shock of fireworks. If your pet must be outside during a fireworks display, make sure they are wearing appropriate identification tags, in case it runs off.
· Veterans, especially those who were in combat, may have an ill response to a fireworks display. If you know of any veterans in your neighborhood, be respectful and let them know you are planning to set off any type of firework.
For those wishing to attend a fireworks display, here is a list of some being held in Stark County:
· Massillon Independence Day Celebration - July 3, 2018 at 9:30 PM
· Clays Park Resort Fourth of July - July 4, 2018 at 9:30 PM
· Alliance July 4th Fireworks - July 4, 2018 at dusk
· North Canton Celebration in the Park - July 4, 2018 at dusk
Nilges Draher would like to wish everyone a safe and happy 4th of July!